Sarah Kent, a Flight Centre New Zealand travel expert, has experienced Germany and shares her top tips on places to go and things to do:
1. Take a walking tour of Berlin – take in the Topography of Terror where you will see the SS and Gestapo secret headquarters, Hitler’s bunker, the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie. Fantastic for those interested in all the history Berlin has to offer!
2. Head to Rhine Valley and take a cruise along the river – marvel at the castles lining the banks. Afterwards, attend a wine tasting to sample the local wines – make sure you try their Eiswein wine.
3. There is fantastic shopping to be done while in Germany. Make sure you pick up a traditional beer stein, for the kids a steiff teddy bear or soft toy, and a cuckoo clock for the wall at home.
4. Take a day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle, made famous by King Ludwig II in the mid 1800’s and spend some time at the Deutches Museum, the world's largest technology museum.
5. For a more sombre experience, in Munich visit Dachau – the first Nazi concentration camp opened in Germany.
For more information on Germany contact Flight Centre on 0860 400 747 or visit www.flightcentre.co.za