Museum of American History through music
- Museum of American History through music with local guide
Items of a personal nature, items not mentioned, gratuities and porterage, meals not mentioned, drinks, tours/sightseeing not mentioned
The United States is a country of rich culture and history, and there are few better ways to learn about it than the Smithsonian Museum of American History. But as amazing as this museum is, we know that everything is more fun when you add a little rhythm, so that's what this tour is all about! Our guides will walk you through the museums exhibits and the many musical artifacts it holds, discussing music's relevance to the incredible historical events and phenomena that inspired some of the best-known melodies in America today. Your DC tour begins at one of the museums highlights, the Star-Spangled Banner exhibit. Here, you'll discover the origins of the national anthem, the war that started it all, and you'll even hear a few different versions of the song. You'll also have the chance to see the original flag Old Glory in all her glory. Next, you and your guide will head downstairs to to check out the instruments and belongings of some of America's most famous musicians. You'll hear the stories of how they shaped music with their inventions, innovative styles, and revolutionary hits, and you'll explore the importance of music and the hidden (and sometimes not so well hidden)messages in songs that were used in political movements and times of struggle. You may even discover that you've been accidentally transmitting a code every time you whistle your favorite tune! Finally, you'll end your tour between the '90s and the present-day, where you'll discover how past rhythms and beats made their way into nightclubs and bars with the invention of electronic music equipment. As a bonus, well give you a chance to make a beat of your own who knows, you could be America's next top DJ!
Terms and conditions
- Rates are subject to rate of exchange fluctuation.
- Availability can change at any time and is never guaranteed.
- High season and weekend surcharges may apply.
- Minimum numbers for tours to depart may apply.
- *All prices are subject to Rate of Exchange and when a deposit is paid the balance of the booking is subject to the rate of exchange on date of full payment.
- Advance purchase, peak season surcharges, block out periods and minimum stay conditions may apply.
- Book and pay in full to avoid disappointment.
- Prices and availability are correct as at 12 November 2019 and are subject to change without notice.
- Prices quoted are on sale until 31 January 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All packages and flights have to be booked and paid for before 31 January 2020.
- All packages are quoted per person sharing.