Flights and taxes, accommodation, meals & Hector Pieterson Museum entry fee
SOWETO, acronym for South Western Township, is home to over 2 million people, who, despite living in crowded and chaotic conditions, have a tangible sense of community, one which ironically, the ordered, walled, elitist northern suburbs lack. Inside Soweto, we visit the Kliptown Open Air Museum where delegates met in 1955 to adopt the Freedom Charter, now the cornerstone of the Bill of Rights and the South African Constitution. Our journey continues to Regina Mundi Church, site of many secret underground meetings of the then banned political parties. Our next stop is the Hector Pieterson Museum, and discover the cause of the tragic riots which led to his death; we pass Mandela House, and give you time to visit this fascinating little museum (own account). Finally we take you past the largest stadium in Africa, Soccer City, host of the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final - this magnificent stadium is now nicknamed 'The Calabash' for its resemblance to the African Pot. Soweto is unlike a suburb you've ever seen or been to, yet the history of struggle encapsulated here is a cornerstone of the South African story.
OPERATING DAYS: 7 Days a week
PLEASE NOTE: Collection times may vary subject to hotel collection route
LOCATION START & TIME : Hotel lobby
Terms and conditions
- All rates and availability are quoted from a live dynamic database based on a 'from' price and are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Best available rate quoted at time of enquiry.
- Availability can change at any time and is never guaranteed and alternatives may be offered.
- Airport taxes fluctuate daily and cannot be guaranteed.
- Rates are based on 2 people sharing unless otherwise stipulated.
- All packages are quoted per person sharing.
- Identification in the form of passport, driver's licence or ID will be required at check-in at the hotel.
- Credit card required for car hire where applicable.
- There is deposit required for car rental on credit card for fuel and extras, valid unendorsed driver's license, passport or SA ID.
- All prices are subject to rate of exchange fluctuation and when a deposit is paid the balance of the booking is subject to the rate of exchange on the date of full payment.
- Advance purchase, public holiday, peak season, weekend surcharges, block out periods and minimum stay conditions may apply.
- PLEASE NOTE: City tax, tourist tax, conservation levies and tourism levies are compulsory in some destinations and is payable by passengers directly.
- Full payment may be required at time of booking.
- Prices and availability are correct as at 22 February 2021.
- All packages and flights quoted are on sale until and have to be booked and paid for before 31 October 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- E and OE.