Istanbul Byzantium Tour
- HIGHLIGHTS: Explore the beautiful Golden Horn harbour
- Visit the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
- Discover a magnificent St Mary of Blachernae church and the Holy Saviour in Chora
- Visit the imposing 12th century Palace of the Porphyrogenitus
Items of a personal nature, items not mentioned, gratuities and porterage
Learn all about four of Istanbul's most history-filled landmarks, this tour takes you to the beautiful Golden Horn harbour, the great church of St Mary of Blachernae, the church of the Holy Saviour in Chora (also known as the Kariye Museum, in Turkish) and the splendorous Palace of the Porphyrogenitus (Tekfur Palace).
Your first stop is one of the most awe-inspiring sights in Istanbul. The Golden Horn is a hornlike branch of the Bosphorus River used as a natural naval harbour in the times of the Byzantine Empire. Its name comes from both its shape and the golden hue it adopts when seen from a hilltop due to the reflection of the sun. Visit the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the seat of Orthodox Christianity in Turkey since the time when Constantine the Great declared Christianity the religion of the Roman Empire.
Continue to of St Mary of Blachernae, a magnificent church and shrine of the Mother of God famous for its holy water and sacred baths. Then see another breath-taking church, the Holy Saviour in Chora, long ago a Byzantine monastery and nowadays a very interesting museum filled with mosaics and frescoes from ages past. Also delve into the eerie Prison of Anemas, a spooky network of 14 separate dungeons. Finally, visit the imposing 12th century Palace of the Porphyrogenitus. It is the only surviving pavilion of the Blachernae Palace and it was erected adjacent to the city walls that surround the remains of the Byzantine acropolis, a day full of history.
DURATION: 4 hours & 30 minutes
Terms and conditions
- Rates are subject to Rate of exchange fluctuation.
- Availability and tour schedule can change at any time and is never guaranteed.
- *All prices are subject to Rate of Exchange and when a deposit is paid the balance of the booking is subject to the rate of exchange on date of full payment.
- Advance purchase, peak season surcharges, block out periods and minimum stay conditions may apply.
- Book and pay in full to avoid disappointment.
- Prices and availability are correct as at 21 October 2021 and are subject to change without notice.
- Prices quoted are on sale until 31 January 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All packages and flights have to be booked and paid for before 31 January 2021.
- All packages are quoted per person sharing.