Your Waterberg Break includes:
- 2 nights' midweek accommodation at the 4-star Mabula Game Lodge in a Standard Room (to include a Wednesday)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- 2 game drives per person per day
- Ground Hornbill Experience
- Horse Back Safari OR Quad Bike Safari
- Up to 2 kids under the age of 12 stay FREE
Flights, items of a personal nature, items not mentioned, gratuities & porterage, meals not mentioned, tours/sightseeing not mentioned, transfers, conservation fees (currently R223 per vehicle or R422 per coach per stay)
LOCAL BREAK : The Mabula Ground Hornbill Project
Mabula Private Game Reserve has been the home of the award-winning Mabula Ground Hornbill Project since 1999. This non-profit conservation project aims to change perceptions - and the fortunes - of this iconic but endangered species, through multi-disciplinary and evidence-based conservation techniques. The charismatic Southern Ground-Hornbill (Bucorvus leadbeateri) is a bird that many people already know well. They are culturally important as the 'thunder' or 'rain' birds and are a flagship species for the savannah biome (along with cheetah, white rhino and several vulture species). At present, Southern Ground-Hornbills are considered internationally as 'Vulnerable' throughout their range in Africa by the IUCN, but within South Africa and Namibia they have been classified as Endangered with their numbers outside of formally protected areas still in decline. It is estimated that there are only about 1 500 Ground Hornbills left in South Africa, of which only a third are safe within the protected areas of the greater Kruger National Park. The birds live in social, cooperatively breeding groups that consist of between two and nine birds, but with only one alpha male and one breeding female per group, the rest of the group are helpers to defend the territory and feed the female and chick. This means there are only an estimated 400-500 breeding groups in the whole of South Africa, while data from the Kruger National Park shows that, on average, only one chick is raised to adulthood every nine years. The reasons for their decline are predominantly loss of nesting trees, secondary poisoning, and electrocution, loss of habitat to croplands, bush encroachment, overgrazing and monoculture. The Mabula Ground-Hornbill Project is working to slow the decline by: *Harvesting and assisting the hand-rearing of second-hatched chicks that would otherwise die of starvation in wild nests. *Re-wilding of the hand-reared chicks by established groups in bush training schools. *Reintroduction of these 'rescued' birds back into areas where they have become locally extinct, once the risks in those areas have been mitigated. *Provision of artificial nests for wild groups with no or inadequate nests. *Research into genetics, behaviour and other important unanswered questions necessary for successful re-establishment. *A country-wide awareness campaign, to educate the public about the threats facing this flagship indicator species and to reinstate the bird into collective memory in areas where it has become locally extinct.
Terms and Conditions
- Valid for SA & SADC Residents only.
- Package is a 2-night Midweek Getaway, as the Ground-Hornbill Project can only be visited on a Wednesday morning.
- Price is per person based on 2 adults sharing.
- a maximum of 2 children, under the age of 12yrs, sharing with parents in a Standard Room stay FOC for the duration of the package, however Will need to pay additional for any activities they might join their parents on.
- Horse Back Safaris - 1,5 hour experience - children aged 5 - 12 years must be accompanied by adults.
- Quad bike trail - 1,5 hour experience - children 5-16 must be accompanied by an adult and may double up.
- Maximum 3 quad bikes.
- GATE ENTRY FEES: Compulsory gate entry fee is payable direct upon arrival.
- This is currently ZAR223 per vehicle (subject to change).
- Excludes transfers, beverages and gate entry fees which is payable direct.
- Children aged 0-5 years permitted on game drives at management's discretion; however they are not permitted to view the big cats.
- All rates & availability are quoted from a live dynamic database and are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Best Available rate quoted at time of enquiry.
- This rate is valid for sale to SA and SADC residents only and proof of ID may be required upon check in.
- 1% Tourism levy excluded.
- *All prices are subject to Rate of Exchange and when a deposit is paid the balance of the booking is subject to the rate of exchange on date of full payment.
- Advance purchase, peak season surcharges, block out periods and minimum stay conditions may apply.
- Book and pay in full to avoid disappointment.
- Credit card required for car hire where applicable.
- Prices and availability are correct as at 06 March 2019 and are subject to change without notice.
- Prices quoted are on sale until 30 April 2019 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All packages and flights have to be booked and paid for before 30 April 2019.
- All packages are quoted per person sharing.
- E and OE.