Have you ever needed to book a flight but weren't sure which airline to use? Price isn’t the only factor travellers consider when choosing an airline or airport for their journey.
Describing itself as “the world’s largest organisation for air passenger rights,” AirHelp set out to identify the World’s Best Airlines and Airports* based on key performance indicators measured over a one-year period, including on-time performance, dining and shopping, how passenger concerns are responded to, and quality of service, amongst other things.
Here are the world's ten best airlines, based on AirHelp's findings:
1. Qatar Airways – Achieving an 8,23 score out of a possible 10, Qatar Airways achieved the best score. Qatar Airways is well known to South Africans, with daily flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban to Doha, connecting to more than 160 destinations worldwide.
2. American Airlines – Second with a score of 8.07 out of 10.
3. Aeromexico – Mexico’s flag carrier, based in Mexico City.
4. SAS Scandinavian Airline – Flag carrier of Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
5. Qantas – Our neighbours Down Under nabbed a decent 5th place on the list.
6. LATAM Airlines – Said to be the largest airline in Latin America.
7. WestJet – Low-cost Canadian airline.
8. Luxair – Flag carrier airline of Luxembourg
9. Austrian Airlines – the flag carrier of Austria.
10. Emirates – Another Middle Eastern carrier to make the top ten list, Emirates flies from Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town to their hub in Dubai.
Other popular options with connections to South Africa featured in the top 20 include Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and Turkish Airlines.
The Top Ten Airports, according to AirHelp:
1. Hamad International Airport - Doha, Qatar – Fly AirHelp’s best airline into its number-one airport. Doha's world-class airport features along with the standard airport lounges, hotels, rest zones, some especially for families, hundreds of eateries and shops, including all the luxury brands to give your credit card a run for its money.
2. Tokyo International Airport - Japan
3. Athens International Airport - Greece
4. Afonso Pena International Airport - Brazil
5. Gdańsk Lech Wałęsa Airport - Poland
6. Moscow Sheremetyevo International Airport - Russia
7. Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore – Singapore’s Changi Airport is currently rated the World's Best Airport by Skytrax, for the seventh consecutive year since 2013. Just last month, a US$1.3 billion new 'Jewel' complex, a lifestyle complex of sorts, opened to much fanfare. It features the world's tallest indoor waterfall, surrounded by a four-storey high indoor forest (complete with 900 trees and walking trails), an IMAX movie theatre and of course a skytrain to connect you with the different areas and terminals.
8. Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi International Airport - India
9. Tenerife North Airport - Spain
10. Viracopos/Campinas International Airport - Brazil