You’re probably reading this thinking to yourself Chicago? Really? In spite of not having the buzz of New York, LA or Miami, Chicago is filled with fun things to do no matter what the season. Here at Flight Centre, we've compiled a list of our top 5 favourite things to do while in the Windy City.
- Check out Millennium Park – Located close to the shores of Lake Michigan, Millennium Park is a must do. In winter go for a skate at the McCormick Tribune Ice rink or walk through the beautiful landscape of the Lurie Garden in the summer months or splash around in Crown Fountain. No matter what the season, be sure to get your picture taken with “The Bean”. This stainless steel sculpture made up of 168 plates welded together offers seamless reflections of the Chicago cityscape.
- Get a birds’ eye view from Willis Tower. Formerly, but often still referred to as the Sears Tower, this 108 storey building was the tallest in the world from 1973-1998 until it was surpassed by the Petronas Twin Towers. Really feel the height from the Skydeck where you can step out into a glass box extending 4.3 feet over the edge of the building! You can also admire a 360 degree view of four states from the John Hancock Observatory.
- After all the excitement you’ll need a good meal. Chicago is famous for its humongous deep dish pizzas stuffed with all your famous toppings. Or, venture to the Lincoln Park neighbourhood and check out The Wieners Circle. Don’t be surprised if the staff is rude to you here. Aside from their amazing hot-dogs and cheese fries they are famous for insulting their customers.
- You've seen the park and Willis Tower, now it’s time for a little culture. Head over to The Art Institute of Chicago the second largest art museum in the United States (the MET in NYC is the largest in case you were wondering). See works from famous artists like Jackson Pollock, Picasso, Georgia O’Keefe and Andy Warhol. Even if you’re not artistically inclined, you’ll certainly appreciate these amazing collections.
- Get all-American at a football game. If you’re in Chicago from September until the end of January you won’t want to miss the excitement of a Chicago Bears game. Join thousands of fans in cheering on the team with the most recorded victories in the National Football League and enjoy some traditional American fun.