Originating in the 1900’s, the concept of Glamping was initially popularized by the Safari, whose clientele were primarily wealthy Europeans. Wanting to explore Africa without parting with the luxuries of home, travellers stayed in ordinary canvas tents lavishly furnished with antiques, Persian carpets and even beds.
Today, Glamping (Glamour +Camping) has become the trendiest way to get back to nature and experience some of the best that South Africahas to offer without having to rough it. Here are some of our top spots to Glamp nationwide.
- The Grand Daddy, Capetown - Located on Long Street, this funky hotel boasts a very cool all-American rooftop trailer park. Each of the seven silver Air-stream trailers is beautifully decorated by top local designers offering visitors a totally cool home away from home and spectacular views.
- Honeyguide Safari Camps, Limpopo - Just a few kilometres from Kruger on the Manyeleti Game Reserve, this stunning camp is the antithesis of Glamping. With beautiful canvas tents outfitted with area carpets, luxury furnishings and even a patio you’ll be able to experience the bush like never before. Visitors have a choice of two super cool styles of tents each fitted with mosquito netting.
- Teniqua Treetops, Western Cape - Experience the beauty of the Garden Route in eco-friendly treetop accommodation. With fully equipped suites, you can listen to the birds sing while making dinner or having a relaxing bath all in the comfort of your canopy-height tree-house You’ll be able to get up close and personal with unusual wildlife while being good to the environment.
- Thula Thula Game Reserve, Kwa Zulu Natal – Go ultra- luxury in one of eight magnificent safari tents. Finished with every luxury in mind, including a Victorian style bathroom, you’ll be able to view the big 5 from your bed or have a nap in a hammock overlooking the Enseleni River.
- Witmoskloof Oxwagon Camp, Eastern Cape – Go back to a simpler time and camp out under the stars in a 200 year old restored Ox-wagon. Each of the five wagons has been appointed with fine linens, carpeting and fully waterproof canvas roofing. At night, enjoy a home cooked meal beside a roaring fire.
Ready to go glamping?
Tweet us up on @FlightCentreRSA
Write on our wall on Facebook.com/FlightCentreRSA
Call us: 0877 40 5018